Great Pumpkin Roll
Let the Pumpkins Roll!
In 1870, surveyors said “that’s a long view” as they stood on Rock Hill with Mr. O.H. Methvin to map out a new East Texas town, and the rest is history. Now, we’re going to roll some pumpkins down that hill. That’s right, Visit Longview and Longview Main Street invite you to the Longview Great Pumpkin Roll!
Uh, what is a Pumpkin Roll? It’s not the delicious dessert, but it is a really fun event.. As Autumn arrives to East Texas, it’s time to roll your pumpkins down the hill for up to $500 in prizes. Prizes will be given for the farthest rolls or hitting targets.
The Longview Great Pumpkin Roll will be held in conjunction with two other Downtown events: Ollie's Skate Shop Downtown Take Over and the monthly Longview Cruisers Downtown Cruise Night.
- When: Saturday, October 7, 2023 from 3 p.m. – 6 p.m.
- Where: Downtown Longview, 420 N. Center Street.
- Participants: Anyone! Kids, adults, locals, visitors. Just show up on the day of the event.
- Cost: $2 per roll, pumpkins are not included. Bring your own pumpkin or buy at the event (limited supply available).
- Prizes: A grand prize of $500 will be awarded to the longest roll. A $200 prize will be awarded to 2nd longest roll, and a $100 prize to the 3rd longest roll. Three new prizes have been added for 2023: Hit either of the two targets for your chance to win $200.
- Rules: Read the pumpkin roll rules.
- Registration: Register in person on day of event.
Schedule of Activities
- Ollie's Skate Shop Downhill Bomb: 2:30 p.m. from top of Center Street
- Ollie's Skate Shop Downtown Takeover Skating Competition: 3:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. on Tyler Street
- Pumpkin Roll Competition: 3 - 6 p.m. from top of Center Street
- Pie Eating Contest: Hourly at 3:30 p.m., 4:30 p.m., and 5:30 p.m. at top of Center Street
- Maze, yard games, and vendors: 3 - 6 p.m. at top of Center Street
- Food Trucks: 3 - 7 pm at top and bottom of Center Street
- Downtown Longview Cruise Night car show: 4 - 7 p.m. on Methvin Street
Volunteers, Vendors and Sponsors:
Volunteer and have a little FUN! We are asking for volunteers to help out with this event in all sorts of "rolls." A limited number of vendor spaces are available, with priority given to downtown businesses and arts organizations. Vendors are encouraged to have a fall or pumpkin related theme or activity.
Sponsors are needed to help make the event a smashing success. Sponsorship opportunities for the pumpkin roll are available and proceeds benefit One Hundred Acres of Heritage, Downtown Longview’s official non-profit partner organization.
To volunteer, reserve a vendor space, or become a sponsor, please register online.
Many thanks to the Great Pumpkin Longest Roll 2023 Sponsor: Sugar Magnolia Properties! And thanks to the Target and Lil Pumpkin 2023 Sponsor: Summers Cook & Co. Real Estate Brokerage, Linda Voyles, Broker Associate.
Event Map and Parking Information:
Great Pumpkin Roll 2022 Results:
Congratulations to the winners of the 2022 Pumpkin Roll, sponsored by Sugar Magnolia Properties. The longest rolls travelled almost two city blocks, approximately 850 feet! We hope everyone had a great time during the new event. We look forward to seeing everyone next year as we add some new challenges!
- $500 Grand Prize Winner: Marcus Forson.
- $200 Second Place: Drake Horton
- $100 Third Place: Jay Maes